Thursday, April 3, 2008

Cruel Intentions

At then end of We there is the lingering, troubling suggestion that D-503's relationship with I-330, rather than authentically romantic in nature, was instead a means to her revolutionary ends. What do you make of their relationship? Did she use him? Either way, how do you explain/read their last scene together?

Throughout the book, there is obvious sexual chemistry between the two characters D-503 and I-330. I-330’s intriguing demeanor forces D-503 to become attracted to her based solely on her unique personality. D-503 is mislead by I-330 and begins to form an emotional connection with her, not knowing of her ulterior motive of gaining possession of the Integral to revolt against One State.

During their last encounter, D-503 is perplexed with I-330’s intentions towards him. He awakens and she is sitting in his room. She says, “Don’t bother. Don’t say anything. It does not matter—you see I came anyway. They’re waiting for me downstairs. And you want these last few minutes of ours to be…” (216). Then the blinds fell. I-330 comes to the realization that this is their last meeting which evokes affectionate feelings towards D-503 that she never outwardly expressed, or knew existed at all. This is the exact moment when she comes to the conclusion that she has unintentionally formed a connection with him.

D-503 is forced to have his imagination removed and he returns to being a puppet for One State. D-503 has no emotion or sympathy for I-330 or any of the other members of the revolution after he undergoes the operation to remove his feelings, as opposed to his willingness to love prior to the operation. After the ‘Great Operation,’ I-330 is sentenced to torture, and ultimately death, by the Machine of the Benefactor due to her rebellious behavior. D-503 is present but he does not recognize her, nor does he ever call her by name. He claims that during I-330’s torture, it reminds him of something, but he cannot recall it. “When they started pumping the air out of the Bell, she threw her head back, and half closed her eyes and pressed her lips together, and this reminded me of something.” (225). She was put under the Bell three times and even though she was staring at D-503, he could not recall his memory of her.

Because D-503 had an inability to trust I-330, he was never quite sure of both his feelings toward her and her intentions with him. The operation ultimately dissipated any chance of him coming to a conclusion about their relationship. On the other hand, their last encounter proves that I-330 was emotionally attached to him, proving their relationship was not completely meaningless.

No comments: